Friday, January 7, 2011

Facebook

So the previous post was posted today, because I had neglected to do so yesterday which is the only reason why I'm writing two posts today. Kind of. Well...never mind.

Facebook. Yes...the bane of my existence. Actually, it's not that bad except for those addicting games that require a log-in every day. It's given me a way to be in contact with friends, new and old. There's only one problem: I just realised that not everyone on my "friends" list can be considered a good friend of mine. Yikes. =/

I'm not too keen on wiping them off the list, though, which causes me to think how important Facebook really is in terms of connecting with friends. Phone always feels more personal, but could you imagine the phone bill after one long distance phone call? And emails are great but not when you're living in the rapid fire of this time and age. So we resort to Facebook.

The even sadder thing about Facebook is the fact that even if you have 1000+ friends, there's no guarantee that you're going to contact all 1000+ friends; that would just be insane. Soon, your friends no longer become friends but rather numbers. It's wonderful, isn't it, knowing that you're just a number on someone else's list? You're now a statistic to that person.

Oh, and let's not forget to mention the obvious fail of Facebook trying to keep accounts 13+ in terms of age. I can assure you that there are ten year olds running around Facebook, probably playing addicting games. I'm not saying it's bad, but the least those kids could do is learn some internet safety before they displaying their home place, expected school, 537 photos, 263 videos, and every thought that they're having.

Speaking of internet safety, how safe is your Facebook profile? I have to admit that I am insanely paranoid when it comes to internet safety, going to some great lengths to protect my identity. Don't mind the fact that IP addresses can be traced and you didn't hear that from me. Short of that, though, I think my Facebook profile is pretty well-covered. At least I'm not "searchable". xP

I'm not writing this post to dis Facebook. In fact, I'm rather attached to it. But I will admit that there are some things about Facebook that bothers me, including its ability to distract me for hours as I'm on my laptop at late night hours. Yeah, maybe it's a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment